Sunday, 1 July 2012

Pinnacle Californium bicycle

The Dreamboat visiting Alexandra Palace
You may not have recognised me cycling around London over the weekend for I have undergone a magical bicycle transformation! I have been given the pleasure of testing out the new Pinnacle Californium bicycle from Evans Cycles (Oh don't you know? We have made up now!). Who could turn down cycling this beautiful, red bicycle?

Check at the big basket
Straight after I collected the bicycle I got outside the shop and two women stopped and swooned at it. After our collective swooning and mutual appreciation for the shininess of the bike, I took it straight out for a spin to see what she was made of, or rather I should say I took her for a cruise – because riding this bicycle is like cruising along a road of butter, smooth and sumptuous! The upright position of the frame feels like I have a front row seat of the mean streets of London (best show in town!). You just sit back and grip onto to the lovely wide dutch style handlebars and watch the town/city/countryside pass you by.


In post-box red, the bicycle has 3 hub gears which is enough for me for I am no drug-taking-Tour-de-France rider, oh no not me! The first gear is perfect for city hills proven by my success at cycling to the top of Alexandra Palace.

Maybe it’s because I’m used to a clunky 1980’s bicycle which is slowing disintegrating with every ride, because this bicycle feels like pure comfort, so much so that I have renamed her the DREAM BOAT. Yes, The Dream boat and I are so happy with our companionship that I have been riding around and around and around in circles on her ever since, in fact, I am writing this post whilst going round and round. Please see video below for evidence and a full view of the bicycle (turn up the volume!):



So far there have been no qualms with the way she rides, but the real question is, will the dream boat stand up to my daily commute? I’ll keep you posted….

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Drug-taking Tour de France racer. Made me spill my drink.

Jemma said...

Glad you like it! I hope I don't offend any major TDF fans..!

lucy Merritt said...

What a beauty!!

anniebikes said...

Well aren't you the master of cycling circles! Ha! Must be that Evans is placating you...but it does look like a swell ride. I read the specs on the website for this Pinnacle Mixte-ish type bike and they don't list bike weight. You'd think they'd publish it, especially since it's aluminum, which is good. What's up with that?

daisyisarobot said...

Awh she's a beaut! Reminds me of my Bronx Metropole that will be going off to a new home tomorrow. I need suspension for the rough canal paths of Berkshire!

Although I'm still not a fan of Evans - grr!

BB said...

I'd make up with pretty much anyone if they were going to give me a shiny red bike to play with :) I'm tempted to go down to my LBS and throw tomatoes at the window. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Seriously, very kind of Evans and the bike looks great fun. Enjoy!

Lady VĂ©lo said...

Lovely bike indeed!

Anonymous said...

The dreamboat is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

Tom said...

Hi,

I am looking at getting the other version of this bike, Califoriaum One or Bobbin, for my wife, would you say that this bike is worth the money? My wife is wanting to put a child seat on the back also to help courier 'little man' around and was wondering your impression on weight and feel of the bike.

Thanks

Jemma said...

Hi Tom, for the size and style of this bike, it is surprisingly light, so will probably make it easy to transport a little man around! At the same time as feeling light, it still is quite solid. The bicycle is very comfortable and the upright position feels secure and in control. You should get your wife to have a go on one in Evans to see if it feels good for her! Good luck!

Tom said...

Hi Jemma,

Thanks for the response!! I will try and get her to a store but it might have to be via Ikea!! The joy!!

Tom

Tom said...

Hi Jemma,

Me again, just to let you know we have a One on order with child carrier and helmet. Went to the dreaded Ikea, Sunday, a short stop in there (yes!!) then a quick trip to Evans on the way home. My wife loved the bike so it was a done deal.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Carmen said...

Hi Jemma and Tom,

Im in the same dilema too.. I was looking at the Bobbin Brownie, weighing in at 13kgs seems pretty light to me. I haven't had the chance to travel to a Evans shop to test the bikes, but would you be able to tell me the weight of the Pinnacle Californium?

Tom: why did your wife choose the Pinnacle over the Bobbin? Which Bobbin was she looking at?

Carmen

Post a Comment